Carrageenan is commonly used as a food additive. It is taken from the sea, from the red algae seaweed. It does not have nutritional benefits like other types of seaweeds. It has, however, being of great help in thickening and emulsifying food products like cheese, ice cream, soy milk, yogurt and different types of processed foods.
Types of Carrageenan
As already mentioned, carrageenan is extracted from red seaweed. It is later processed into powder and used for different purposes. There are three common types of carrageen as explained below.
- Lota carrageenan- this type is used in cosmetic products and jelly soap.
- Lambda carrageenan- it is used to as a thickener.
- Kappa carrageenan- this type is used to produce a strong, brittle and firm gel.
Carrageenan powder can be used for many purposes. It can be used on human or pet food. It can as well be used on products like shampoo, toothpaste, and soap. The powder is locally available in the nearest shopping center. You will find them packaged in either plastic packages or bags.
For the correct use, mix it with water to make it a liquid and later use it for whatever purpose you have. There are other procedures of use, but this is the simplest for personal use. Below are more tips on how to use carrageenan powder. Read on
- First of all, you do not need to purchase large amounts of the powder. Half or one pound will be enough. Prepare it using a blender to make it a liquid. It will not harm it in any way. You can as well mix it with water.
- To make a gallon size of carrageenan liquid, put a tablespoon of the powder in the blender and mix it with cold water. Fill the blender.
- Turn on the blender to the highest speed for one minute. Pour the mixture into an empty container. Add water to fill the container and shake it well to mix.
- The mixture should be left to sit in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 hours. This is so to allow the bubbles that formed while mixing the powder with water to pop. It should be used as a pure liquid. No bubbles.
- The mixture should last ten days if it is stored in the fridge all through. It should, however, be used for only two days if stored at room temperature.